In the second episode of season 1, I focus on the disruption of Kodak. Kodak was a poster child of Disruption for a long time because it went from an absolute dominance of the industry to bankruptcy. When I talk about Kodak’s story with any audience, people are often surprised by the details of the story. The common misperception about Kodak is that it failed to innovate and was disrupted. Many others often believe that the management was perhaps was blindsided by the rise of digital cameras. Both these assumptions are wrong. This episode shows what really went on behind the scenes that led to the disruption of Kodak.
The Structure of this Episode
This episode is divided into three parts
- The rise of Kodak
- The response of Kodak to digital cameras
- The Fall of Kodak
The Key Takeaways from this episode are
- How innovation helps companies rise to great heights?
- How companies often respond to new threats?
- How Kodak’s response to the digital camera was indeed a great response?
- Cognitive traps that often become hurdles for companies
How to listen?
You can listen to it right here by pressing the play button. You can also download the episode to your phone and listen to it using an app like Downcast. It is also available on iTunes, Google Play Podcast and Stitcher Radio.